Swaddles : what is it for?
Swaddle or cloth square... 2 names for such a practical and simple baby article. What exactly is a swaddle? And what is it used for?
What is a cloth square?
By definition, a swaddle is a square of fabric. But don't be fooled by appearances... this baby swaddle will soon become the companion of all your outings as a young parent. It combines 3 essential and practical qualities: very absorbent, space-saving and dry in a flash.
Material and size of a cloth square
As far as the material is concerned, there are 2 main materials on the market:
- cotton muslin, also called double cotton gauze
- bamboo viscose
Although bamboo is an ecological material, the flexibility of this material can, for some, complicate certain uses such as swaddling. At Kokùn Lab, we therefore prefer double cotton gauze, and organic of course!
Concerning the size, there are 2 sizes of swaddles on the market:
- Classic size: 60 x 60 cm or 70 x 70 cm
- Maxi swaddle: 110 x 110 cm or 120 x 120 cm
The uses differ according to the size of the swaddle. But one thing is certain: both sizes are very useful! It's up to you to decide what you need. To help you, take a look at our article « baby swaddles: which size to choose ? »
Originally, a cloth nappy...
If, before the arrival of disposable nappies, our grandmothers used cloth square as cloth nappies, it is not for nothing. Soft and comfortable, the cloth square is also very absorbent. A key point to keep baby dry.
Today, cloth nappies are very popular because of their sustainable nature. And the cloth square is an excellent alternative, being more :
- Durable (no elastic to stretch out, so it lasts longer)
- Easy to maintain (plus it dries super fast)
- Adaptable because it fits all sizes and it follows the shape of your little koko
- Comfortable: no elastic, no seams, no need to tighten it too much to prevent leaks and a soft fabric
The different uses of the baby swaddle
Whatever size you choose, the cloth square is clearly multifunctional.
The classic size swaddle will come in handy as a bib, shoulder protector, changing mat, comforter...
The maxi swaddle will be ideal as a summer blanket, swaddling blanket, nappy, beach towel...
See our table showing all the uses according to the size of the baby swaddle.
How to choose your baby swaddles?
To ensure that your swaddles are useful and do not remain in the cupboard, here is some advice from the Lab:
- To choose the size, take stock of your needs and the uses you will make of your swaddles. To do this, use the table above.
- The quantity of swaddles you buy will also depend on your needs. At the Lab, we advise you to start with 3 small swaddles and 1 maxi swaddle. We also advise you to put these 4 cloth squares in your maternity suitcase. Then you can buy more or have them offered to you if you need them (it's a good gift idea to put on your eco-responsible birth list).
- Choose a soft fabric, preferably Oeko-Tex® and organic. The swaddle will often be in contact with your little koko; it must be comfortable and respect his delicate skin. At the Lab, we like organic cotton double gauze.
- Choose patterns that you like, preferably unisex, to transmit your swaddle more easily.
Discover the Kokùn Lab range of organic cotton swaddles made in France.
You now have all the keys in hand to choose the best swaddles for your little koko. If you want more advice, check out our blog and our testimonials.